Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why They Keep Me Around

*mtv.com


In the fall of 1985 I was 8 years old, enrolled in the 3rd grade at Holz Elementary, and Til Tuesday debuted their title song, Voices Carry. For years I couldn't understand why the title was Voices Carry. I really believed that Aimee and the kids should have called the song This Is Scary. After all it was a song about a girl who was in love with an abusive boyfriend; to me that sounded pretty scary. "Hush! Keep it down now, this is scary." I would sing this song at the top of my lungs. I remembered watching the video feeling empowered at the end, when she had finally had enough and just started singing while sitting in the audience with her asshole boyfriend. Yeah, girl now matter how SCARY it is, you can do it!

It wasn't until some time in the early days of the 21st Century that I actually googled the song, and much to my surprise found out that I have been wrong about the lyrics for much of my life. I was devastated. Are you kidding me?! Seriously?! I'm still a bit pissed about it.

I recently told two girl friends this story, and they have laughed for days. Hell, one has laughed for months. I received the following text message this morning at 8am: "I can't stop singing 'this is scary.' I woke up with it in my head! Thanks! :-P" Perhaps, this is one of the many reasons they all keep me around, entertainment value.

4 comments:

sara said...

Ha! I always thought it was "Even downtown, voices carry." And by always, I mean until I just checked out the lyrics five seconds ago.

I'm The Chez said...

That is possibly the best thing ever!!!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I thought it said, "even downtown" too. LOL.

I'm The Chez said...

Oh you girls are the best! I don't feel so badly anymore! ;)