Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mario's Fishbowl

Mario's Fishbowl

704 Richwood Avenue

Morgantown, WV 26505

(304) 292-2511
(304) 292-9109

fishbowl@mountain.net

Rich in history and awards, Mario's Fishbowl sits on top of the hill between WVU's main down campus and neighboring area of Sabraton. The Fishbowl has been in existence since 1949. Three couples have been lucky enough to call themselves owner. The most famous owners are the legendary Mario and Rose Spina; their picture sits above the bar. Story goes that upon entering Mario's, Rose would take your car keys and only give them back at the end of your stay if she felt you were okay to drive home. If not, she would hold on to your keys until the following day. This was the location of my parent's very first date! Classy, Dad. However, having been a dutiful customer to Mario's during my decade in Morgantown and now as a visitor, I find it to be the best place my parents could have had their first day. I feel a connection to the younger version of them when sitting in the small venue.

Today, Mario's is much the same as it was in Rose and Mario's days. The walls are still decorated with homemade record breakers recorded on paper from receipts, boxes, cardboard. ect- from who traveled the furthest to drink a fishbowl to being able to eat 17 hot dogs in 12 minutes. The fishbowls of beer (multiple draft selections are available) are still available along with a great menu. Individuals rave about the hot dogs, wings, and fish sandwiches. They also offer catering both on and off site through Crosley's which sits next door to The Fishbowl. The Fishbowl hosts three big screen TVs that are constantly tuned into college and pro sports. The Juke Box is awesome!

This past weekend was Homecoming at WVU. My friends, The BoyFriend, and I went to Morgantown for the weekend. We spent Friday night at McClafferty's, the game on Saturday, a quick dinner at The Black Bear, and then by request of AT, we hit The Fishbowl.

Immediately upon entering, I ran into old high school and college friends. It's amazing how everyone flocks back to the hot spots of their college days. We all laughed and reminisced about previous visits to The Fishbowl. Everyone had a blast reading the records and attempting to get the quarter in the vase for the free beer possibility. You can't beat $4.50 for a fishbowl of New Castle either! It's always at treat to go to The Fishbowl. I've never had anything but a memorable experience and time there! If you are in the area it is a must go to!


Fishbowl Ii-Mario's on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

oncee said...

$4.50 for a fishbowl of New Castle! I'm so there the next time I go to Morgantown.

I'm The Chez said...

I kid you not. I put a $5 down, and she gave me $0.50 back! It rocked! I then traded out the remaining quarters with a dollar. Tipped her the dollar and used the 2 quarters to play the quarter in a vase game. It was fun!

Unknown said...

I have been asking Ron to take me there for years. I have heard so much about it, I want to experience it for myself. I think I will finally get the opportunity the day before the Cincy game in November!

I'm The Chez said...

Susan,
It is just a local yokel's place. I love it. I have always had a good time there.