Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Walk Down Memory Lane With Some of My Favorite Couples

I'm a reader. I'm a teacher. I'm a literature teacher. I belong to Goodreads. I have a library card. I could easily spend my salary at a Barnes and Nobel, in one day. I own more books that I do...anything else. If my house were to catch on fire, it would burn quickly and proficiently. Many days I would rather dive into a book than actually have a conversation with a real person. These elements prove that I am indeed a bibliophile.

I've been reading more than usual lately. Which to say, is A LOT and quickly. I was recently having a discussion with my friend MW about the literary couple in the Twilight Series. The conversation brought about a question in my mind..."Who are the most memorable literary couples out there?" I have started a list that I hope you will add to.

Heathcliff and Catherine of Wuthering Heights. One either loves or hates this novel. I am of the love camp. Their souls are tragically intertwined with one another. The love, the hate, the passion. Can happiness ever truly come to fruition without the eternal loss and suffering of something or someone? A Romantic idea and philosophy.


Romeo and Juliet of Romeo and Juliet. Really this needs no explanation. They are the archetype.

Henry and Claire of The Time Traveler's Wife. The patience. The love. The patience. The compromise. Did I mention the patience?

Janie and Tea Cake of Their Eyes Were Watching God. I'm weeping while writing, knowing what it took for them to find one another, and because of what they lost. However, how lucky for Janie to get to experience the kind of love that would cause one to say, "[Tea Cake] looked like the love thoughts of women. He could be a bee to a blossom - a pear tree blossom in the spring. He seemed to be crushing scent out of the world with his footsteps. Crushing aromatic herbs with every step he took. Spices hung about him. He was a glance from God." What luck to have found him.

Odysseus and Penelope of The Odyssey. She waited 20 years for his return. I don't think there needs to be any further explanation.

Meggie Cleary and Father Ralph de Bricassart of The Thorn Birds. Though their love is plagued with devotion, dedication, ambition, and loyalty to the Roman Catholic Church, it manages to transcend another level.

Arthur and Guinevere and Lancelot of any Arthurian Legend, The Once and Future King. The most famous of the love triangles. Romantic love, brotherly love, kingly love, and everything in between.

Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy of Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen gave us the character. GAWD gave us Colin Firth! Thank goodness for both!

*I'll be adding to this as you all suggest couples and as I think of more.


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy.

Also, check out my friend's recent ode to Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester: http://halffullofwhat.blogspot.com/2008/10/ahhhhh-mr-rochester.html