Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Politically Correct?

I recently received an email from a college roommate that was filled with incredibly inaccurate data, misinformation, and the worst part, it was in all capital letters. An email that is in all capital letters does NOT make it more important, smarter, or factually accurate. In fact 99.9% of the time, you can bet the farm that it is the exact opposite. Educated people (whether street educated or school educated) know these things! So I thought...

I received an all capital letter email from FRM (Former Roommate) that took excerpts from Obama's books completely out of context and used it in much the same way that fundamentalist, religious nutcases might use the Bible to prove a discussion point. I shouldn't say discussion point; discussion tends to lend itself to the idea that two people are participating in the conversation, which often is not the case. Mind you, she did not author the email, but she did forward it on.

Whether the email had endorsed Obama rather than McCain, I would have still been appalled at the fact that a well educated woman would send such inaccurate and media-spooged nonsense. I replied in an email that I would prefer to be left off any emails that promoted a political agenda based out of inaccuracies and slander. I informed FRW that I was indeed an Obama Supporter, but that so often in elections these days, all candidates are taken like lambs to the slaughter in terms of the media.

She replied to the email in such a matter:
"I'm sorry to hear that..."

What is she sorry about that I asked her to remove my email from further slanderous exchanges?
Is she sorry that I am an Obama supporter?
Is she sorry that she sent an email so full of false information and as a teacher she should be ashamed? What?

Either way, I was upset that she responded in the manner in which she did. She has known me for a very long time, as I her. I have been a bra burning liberal soul my whole life. I'm shocked that she thought it was a good idea to send the email to me to begin with. Unless there is a new mission to save bra burning souls?!

I was raised that religion and politics were ill advised when having discussions in mixed company. That is always better to take the high road and walk a thin line between debate and argument. I always try to keep the following words in mind when either topic comes about:


* You cannot help the poor, by destroying the rich.

* You cannot strengthen the weak, by weakening the strong.
* You cannot bring about prosperity, by discouraging thrift.
* You cannot lift the wage earner up, by pulling the wage payer down.
* You cannot further the brotherhood of man, by inciting class hatred.
* You cannot build character and courage, by taking away men's initiative and independence.
* You cannot help men permanently, by doing for them what they could and should, do for themselves.


-Abraham Lincoln

Perhaps we could all take a lesson from President Lincoln




1 comment:

I'm The Chez said...

The following link addresses some of the misquotes that appeared in the email that was sent to me.

http://fightthesmears.com/articles/4/therealquote