Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Working Together To Get The Job Done

I was trying to get caught up on my blog reading today. I knew that there would be a plethora of blogs to read through after last night's election. I knew that I had ideas that I needed to write about. When I have had the spare time today, between answering teenagers' questions about the election and literature, I have been reading and doing my own writing. Though I am ecstatic at the outcome of the election, a friend of mine helped to put some ideas into perspective.

My friend who is a West Virginian transplanted in Oregon is doing wonderful work with the Presbyterian youth, writes a blog titled The Oregon Mountaineer. He reflected on his emotions last night when hearing of the results of who would be our next president. I ask you to take a look at it. It's honest and fair. It's reminds me of what we must constantly remind ourselves; change will only come with everyone listening and working together-bipartisanship, working together for the common good. If not, change will not take place. There will be a disconnect that will do more harm than good. It's time for HOPE. It's time for CHANGE. It's time to make a DIFFERENCE.

The following is an excerpt from The Oregon Mountaineer's Reflection:

I sent out a mass text message last night. I made it my facebook status this morning and it went like this, "A new day has dawned and today the work of reconciliation begins in earnest, it is our job to set the example. God be with us."

I only hope that those that "won" will not gloat, but be of the same demeanor of our President-Elect, poised, solemn, and determined to work to make this country better, more loving, and more gracious.

I hope that those that "lost" will not disengage, will not take their hurt and frustration and completely give up on the conversation. We need all voices to be heard if we are going to actually make any changes. When we stand together in a great multitude seeking to work for change and compromise and love and wholeness that is when we as a country will truly be changed.That takes all of us, all of us in the conversation, all of us talking, and most importantly, all of us listening.

No comments: