Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dreams To Reality: The Dave Thomas Experience

I'm a vivid dreamer. I always have been. Many times I wake up and have to decipher whether or not the scenario in the dream was a real event or imagination. Last week, I had a very vivid dream that then became a reality.

<------ My friend, Dave Thomas, is a musician and artist in Charleston, WV. He is quite talented and just a really good person to boot. He played the starring role in this particular dream. To begin with, in the dream I had expendable income. Ha! A teacher with expendable income! I know for sure that this is NOT reality and in fact IS a dream. Nonetheless, in my dream, I bought a variety of art supplies, a HUGE canvas, and showed up at Dave's front door.

I said to him, "Here is a $1000 worth of art supplies. You have 6 months to create a piece for me. I'm not going to tell you WHAT to paint. You are the artist. You know me, my likes, and dislikes. I WILL give you a theme, elephants (I have a SMALL obsession with elephants). See you in March. I will give you another $1000 then."

In the dream, his eyes popped out of his head, he smiled, he shut the door and began to create. I, unfortunately, woke up before the project was completed. :(

I was out running around with Dave the other day; he said something that sparked the memory of the dream. He literally went bananas when I told him. He lit up with energy and excitement.

He said, "You dreamed it. I have to do it now."

I said, "Well, yeah, but I don't have that kind of money, Dave."

He said, "You buy the canvas and I will do all of the rest. Payment comes in the form of us being friends for the rest of our lives. Plus, in the dream, you said I had six months to finish it. You know what happens in six months?"


I stared at him blankly.

"It's your birthday! Happy Birthday, Chez!"

We shook on it!

The whole dream was becoming a reality.

Dave and I have a mutual friend who works in an arts related store who offered to get the canvas for us. I gave her the money, she bought the canvas for me, and even delivered it to Dave on Saturday. Dave has been sketching and making decisions since.

Isn't this exciting!!!!! Once the piece is completed, I will take a picture of it and place it on the blog. I'm so excited I can hardly stand myself!
In the mean time, you can check out Dave and his music at many venues throughout the Charleston area. He plays often at Sam's Uptown Cafe with the band, Taste Like Chicken. Keep and eye on The Gazz to see if he is participating in any art shows in the near future. As I get information on his where abouts and where you might see his work, I will let you know.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

Omigosh, that's freakin' AWESOME!!!!!!!!! What a great dream and a great friend to turn it into reality.

Can't wait to see it!

I'm The Chez said...

I know! Isn't that completely AWESOME!? I was shocked. I told him, "Dave I didn't tell you this dream, to solicit a free painting." He said, "No kidding!" Coolest thing EVER!

Tina said...

I can't wait to see this!!!

Custom-Writing.org said...

me too!! Wanna see him - it will be freakin' great!!