Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Classroom Clucking

Everyone knows it is not considered appropriate to eavesdrop. With that said, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. At times, eavesdropping is a valuable tool. At other times, it is a vicious weapon. When I am at work, I try, and I mean TRY very hard, to NOT eavesdrop on the students. There is some information out there that I would prefer to NEVER know about. Most of this information happens to be hot topics for most adolescents and teenagers.

The only major problem with this practice is that kids are loud! They are noisy. They have no interest in considering their environment and who and what is around them. They will talk about anything, anywhere. I have to remind them, often, that I am, indeed, still in the room; just because they aren't talking directly with me, doesn't mean that I can't hear their conversations.

I was walking through the hall on the way to the office when today's overheard hallway conversation occurred. It gave me a chuckle. I laughed not because of a child's ailment, but rather how the student was able to show mastery of a learned Mathematics skill. It was a whole new type of assessment of a learned skill.

Student 1: "Hey, ######, did you see ******'s four nipples today in the locker room? Yeah, you heard me, he has four."

Student 2: "Four! No way, dude! Where are they?"

Student 1: "Two where they should be, and two more about 6 inches away. If you drew vertical or horizontal lines through them, they would be parallel. Either way both sides of his body are symmetrical."

Student: 2: "Parallel and symmetrical?"

Student 1: "Yeah, I learned about those words in Geometry class."

2 comments:

Buzzardbilly said...

You mean you have a student in your school with double nubbins?!?

Whoever said nips on a man are useless did not know of this young fellow. He could make some money selling pics of his double nubbins.

BTW, when I was a small child Evil Granny had a party line. She lived to eavesdrop on other peoples' phone calls. Each house had a different set of rings on the party line so everyone knew who was getting a call. This one particular old biddy who lived next door to my uncle was her favorite eavesdrop target. Once when she was too busy to eavesdrop on one of Ethel's incoming calls, she taught me how to do it...put a potholder over the mouthpiece, lift the receiver gently so as to leave no audible click of joining, then remember and report back to Evil Granny all that was said. I hadn't started school yet. No one told me it was wrong. Mom and Dad came to pick me up and the first thing I said was, "Granny taught me how to eavedrop today!"

No one was happy.

I'm The Chez said...

Apparently, indeed we do.

I like the sounds of Evil Granny. She sounds like my kind of Grandma!

I could write a book with some of the outlandish crap that has come out of kids' mouths over the last decade. Some of it is pretty embarrassing!